Wellington, let’s face it, your time is up! If you weren’t the capital, there wouldn’t be any reason to talk about you on the news, besides when a roof gets blown off… With your gail-force winds, sub zero temperatures in Winter…
Wellington isn’t exactly your typical holiday destination, and there isn’t much to do is there? I mean, come to think of it, when you visit Wellington there is only one place to go and see…. Te Papa!
Wellington does have a few things going for it, your picturesque hills, blue waters, cafes, great culture and of course you can’t beat wellington on a good day … those 3 glorious days every year! There has been a lot of debate on whether Auckland should be the capital, below is a list of reasons why Auckland should be the capital, it pretty much already is!
Please tell us why Auckland should or shouldn’t be the capital.
- When you’re overseas Wellington isn’t really considered big enough to be a city
- That’s right, no one knows of Wellington, when you’re overseas everyone asks: “Are you from Auckland?“
- Everyone overseas is surprised when you tell them that Auckland isn’t the capital…
- Auckland has the tallest building in the country
- Auckland really knows how to impress their out-of-town friends
- Alternatively we could make Auckland the State Capital for NZ and finally join the Australian Federation
- The bustling International airport means that tourists prefer to see Auckland first
- When you land in Auckland you don’t need a vom bag during landing
- The Prime Minister lives in Auckland. So did the last one
- Though John Key did apologise, it’s a true fact when he stated that Wellington was a dying city
- Anyone who has done business internationally knows that the business and financial world looks to Auckland
- In Auckland you can enjoy the ocean, the water isn’t arctic cold!
- Auckland has the largest sea and air ports, welly is difficult to get into and out of
- As far as we know, Wellington is prone to earthquakes
- Wellington’s awful weather
- The infrastructure issues in Auckland will finally be fixed!
- Perhaps we could build a small parliamentary town on the outskirts of Auckland, by the ocean. Make sure it’s in a really nice location, beautiful, warm, secure, modernised, and employ an automated transport system. It won’t cost anything in real terms because existing parliament buildings can be sold off
- It will help de-populate Auckland and make other places in NZ more attractive to immigrants
- It’s already is New Zealand’s centre of power and economy in every sense
- Auckland must be the capital so the rest of the world to take New Zealand seriously
- If all the politicians moved to Auckland and all the creative people moved to Wellington, both cities will become what they are already supposed to be
- Auckland can grow, whereas Wellington is stuck between hills
- We can enjoy our drinks outside rooftop without the wind
- It’s already is the capital, why is it taking such a long time?
- Auckland has the most diverse, most populous, and has a wealth of creativity which is unmatched nationwide
- Auckland has Waiheke
- Because of this, there’s a smaller version of nearly every country in the world here
- Some of the most beautiful waterfalls you will ever see
- Auckland could open up a cardigan shop for when all the civil servants follow
- Overseas newspapers constantly mistake Auckland as the capital
- Auckland is called New Zealand’s Super City for a reason.
- Auckland has four seasons in one day, not one season all year.
- It’s the City of Sails, but not the city of gale-force winds and upturned umbrellas
- There is beaches galore, black sand, white sand, take your pick
- Auckland has more weekend getaways available
Did we miss something? Tell us in the comments below 🙂