Moving can be a very frightening thing. Whether you are leaving your home for the first time, changing your workplace, or moving away for school, it’s always difficult to adapt to a new place and new conditions. But moving to a completely new country like New Zealand is another story altogether.
If you are new to new Zealand and don’t know where to start or what to expect, we’ve got you covered.
Here is 17 things you need to know.
- There is beauty all around you. New Zealand is one of the most scenic places in all the the world, so fill your Instagram with amazing photos and show everyone back home just what they’re missing.
- You’ll probably never overheat in New Zealand. It can get very cold, and the homes can be cold, so be prepared.
- If you love coffee, you will never be glum. Coffee here is everywhere and it tastes amazing.
- It’s expensive to drink in bars. You’ll pay as much as $12 for a drink.
- Drinking laws in New Zealand are very strict, so drinking outside is also out.
- The All Blacks become your family.
- They’re way behind on English soaps. I could ruin Coronation Street and break so many hearts.
- Get over your feet phobia. You will meet a lot of naked feet in shops, schools, cafes… so get used to it.
- You are not the only stranger here. New Zealand is a hot spot for people from all around the world.
- Everyone in New Zealand knows at least someone who knows someone who knows Lorde.
- You will never be bored on your weekends in New Zealand, as there are always somewhere new to visit.
- You are safer here than in many other countries. Statistically, in New Zealand more people die while playing lawn bowls than diving.
- You’ll never not find it funny when a NZ’s national bird. says “deck”.
- New Zealand’s culture is amazing. Don’t miss a chance to visit Rotorua & find out all about Maori civilisation.
- Chocolate covered pineapple candy.. Jaffas. Hokey Pokey. Need I say more?
- The ‘Found in the sea and enjoyed with chups. and chups’ will rock your world!
- And lastly, but certainly not least, you will never regret moving to New Zealand.