We can’t imagine that there is anyone in the world who doesn’t admire New Zealand. With its picture-perfect views, adrenaline activities, spectacular surroundings, and fantastic food, what’s not to like?
Unfortunately though, there are a few things…
As a hot destination, New Zealand sees many tourists and relocated foreigners.
They don’t all love it here so we’ve put together a list of some of the less-positive things tourists have said about our patch of paradise:
- New Zealanders do not know to drive.
- Why are there so many driving tests to pass? Learners, restricted, and then full? That’s too many.
- The public transport in NZ sucks.
- But the brunch culture is egg-cellent.
- Why doesn’t the bill ever get brought to the table? How strange!
- $5 for a single avocado? That’s daylight robbery.
- Why do houses have heated towel rails but no central heating?
- Aussie and Kiwi accents are so similar.
- Pineapple lumps do not taste like real pineapple.
- Why would anyone ever order Goody Gum Drop-flavored ice-cream? It’s blue-colored filth.
- They also drop the ‘c’ bomb too frequently.
- Double-glazing is necessary to block out the sound of cicadas.
- Pies are part of lifestyle. But not fruit pies. Mince and cheese pies, people!
- New Zealand has its own airline??!
- Air New Zealand‘s air safety videos are bizarre.
- The Cadbury’s here tastes nothing like the original English variety.
- We’ve gotta hand it to you, Whittaker’s is just fantastic!
- What? Rugby is a religion?
- Is it OK that people only half-flush the toilet?
- What’s with the feijoa obsession? Don’t New Zealanders realize how awful they are?
- No car insurance? How is it not obligatory?
- The towns are pretty and amazing. But they all look the same.
- How on earth do people live in Arrowtown?!
- Or Palmerston North.
- Domino’s is dangerously cheap.
- Sugar sprinkles on bread is really odd.
- There are so many job opportunities to be had.
- Aotearoa is a paradise on earth.
- Auckland should be the capital of NZ.
- Pronouncing ‘Wh’ as ‘F’ will always feel weird.
- Everyone can feel safe living in New Zealand.
- Cheque, savings, or credit? WTF?!
- You can use EFTPOS for the smallest transactions – it’s fascinating!